The holidays are right around the corner, which means the holiday gifts are right around the corner too. Literally! If you love where you live, we believe you should shop where you live too. This season, we wanted to highlight some one-of-a-kind presents you can only find here in Louisville, Kentucky.
1. Shopping for your most fashionable friend? The New Blak is a woman-owned, ethical and sustainable clothing company that designs and produces a unique clothing line in their Louisville studio. Pair one of their signature little black dresses ($88 – $188) with handmade accessories they source from other woman-owned businesses, like Lindsay Lou Jewelry. ($28 – $45)
2. Give the gift of original art and support creatives in our community, by shopping with C19: Art Works for KY by Calliope Arts Printmaking Studio & Gallery this holiday season. Founders Susanna Crum and Rudy Salgado have collaborated with 19 visual, literary, and performing artists (including renowned sculptor Ed Hamilton, spoken word artist Hannah Drake, and Jim James of My Morning Jacket) to produce prints benefitting Artist Relief Trust, which provides emergency assistance to artists in Kentucky and Southern Indiana, so you can give art and do some extra good for artists at the same time. ($30 – $75)
3. Have a few more art enthusiasts on your list? Keep giving the gift of art and shop at E&S Gallery, Inc., which has been offering original and limited edition African American fine art in Louisville since 1989. You can see their exquisite selection online or in person at the gallery, which is just around the corner from 21c. If you already have art that needs to be framed, their custom framing shop can help with that too!
4. Looking to spruce up your decor at home, gift a unique scarf to your mom, or find some one-of-a-kind stationary to keep in touch with a pen pal? From scarves, wraps, and bags to table linens, quilts, and notecards, Anchal Project offers beautifully designed, ethically made products with the purpose of positively impacting lives through design. With their range of offerings, you’ll easily find the perfect gifts for those you love (and yourself). ($4.50 – $425)
5. Searching for the perfect gift for the museum-goer in your life? You can find what you’re looking for at Museum Row on Main! Schedule a private in-person or virtual shopping experience with KMAC Shop or join one of their monthly Virtual Happy Hours and their team will rescue you with their wide selection of handmade pieces. The Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory is offering 20% off everything in their online shop through 12/4 so you can get a personalized bat for Dad for only $48. Encourage others to get inspired with a Red Bike Moment tee, earrings, or cufflinks from the Muhammad Ali Center Store ($8 – $15) – or follow the footsteps of “The Greatest” by giving a budding athlete a pair of Ali Center Boxing Gloves. ($50)
6. Give a friend a pick me up with coffee from West Lou Coffee, founded in 2016 by Sean Roberson to honor West Louisville, his hometown and birthplace of Muhammad Ali. ($10 – $15)
7. Of course, you can’t go wrong with a dozen (or more) cookies. Satisfy their sweet tooth with a cookie from Please & Thank You or from Louisville legend, Kizito Cookies. Both provide the option to buy them online and have them shipped to your door. Yum! ($12 – $30)
8. Looking for a one-stop-shop for everyone on your list? We got you. From the creative to the entertainer and the leisure expert, the 21c Shop can help stock the tree this year. Shopping for a collector? Take home a hand-crafted miniature ceramic (or ornament) Red Penguin from Louisville Stoneware. Friends with a Fallen Fruit fan? Stuff their stocking with gifts wrapped in the same wallpaper prints found in Proof on Main, like The Last “Gay” Bar in America Notebook or a Dogwood Scarf. Impress your scent-expert with a Malin + Goetz Candle. Or give the gift of liquid gold with a bottle of exclusive spirits, including limited selections of Kentucky Bourbon, from our 21c Selects program.